Are you looking for a way to save money on your next move? Here are a few easy ways to save money while relocating.
1. Get rid of your unnecessary possessions – Getting rid of unwanted household objects is the simplest way to save money on the move. Clean out your closet to start the pre-move purging process early. Then devise a decluttering strategy for each room. Donate any unwanted furniture, clothes, or trinkets. If you want to sell something, consider consigning it, having a yard sale, or selling it on an online marketplace like Craigslist. Check out the guide to the pre-move purge for more tips about how to get rid of your belongings.
2. Hire a moving van – Are you considering a do-it-yourself move? Renting a truck and transporting yourself could save you thousands of dollars. Consider renting a 26-foot truck from a trustworthy truck rental company if you’re transporting a big family. These big trucks can accommodate four or more bedrooms. Check out Buzzmoving.com’s truck rental center to find a big moving truck that suits your budget and needs. Our truck rental center offers discounts on local truck rental companies and additional details on the truck rental process.
3. Enlist the support of friends and family – Whether you’re willing to pay for skilled movers or labor assistance, consider enlisting the help of friends and family. When requesting their service with a transfer, make sure to give them plenty of notice. Make certain that those individuals are capable of lifting large boxes and appliances.
4. Look for free moving boxes and supplies – Finding free moving boxes and supplies from local liquor stores, big department stores, grocery stores, recycling drop-off points, office buildings, and schools is an easy way to cut moving costs. Craigslist, Freecycle, U-Haul Box Exchange, Nextdoor.com, and local Facebook groups can also provide free supplies. Additionally, by visiting Buzzmoving.com’s online box hub, you can save money on various stores. We’ve partnered with UBoxes.com and UsedCardboardBoxes.com to help you get the best deal on any required moving boxes and supplies. Tip: Use our Packing Calculator to determine how many boxes you’ll need for your transfer before ordering them.
5. Rent a portable moving container – Another perfect option to employing full-service movers is to rent a portable moving container. The price of renting a portable moving container is determined by the amount of time required and the container’s size. All you have to do to travel with a container is fill it up, and the company of container will take care of the rest.
6. Look at moving discounts – AAA participants may be eligible for special moving and storage discounts. For example, AAA members moving to a new state can get Full Value Protection from Atlas Van Lines. Members of the military may also be liable for discounts on moving firms, truck rentals, and other services. Here’s where you can find AAA discounts on moving services. Check out Buzzmoving.com’s vast network of trustworthy and reliable movers to find both local and long-distance moving companies that offer military discounts.
7. Carry your luggage – This may seem self-evident, but you’d be surprised how much money you can save by doing so. Although several experienced movers provide packing assistance, the service is not inexpensive. Packing costs vary depending on the moving company, but they are almost always in the hundreds of dollars. To save money on packing, I suggest doing it yourself or enlisting friends and family support.
8. Choose a less costly moving date – When you transfer, it will significantly impact the total cost of your move. In general, it’s better to relocate in the middle of the month, during the week. This is usually when demand for moving companies is at its lowest, and as a result, prices are often at their lowest. Although traveling on the weekend could be more convenient, bear in mind that there are only so many weekends in a year, and most consumers will be competing for one. Many that can take a day off work to relocate during the week should do so. Also, make it clear in mind that during the summer, more people travel. In reality, between Memorial Day and Labor Day, roughly 70% of people relocate. So, if at all possible, avoid moving during this busy time. Instead, save money by moving in the late fall or early winter.
9. Get quotes from many moving companies – Before hiring a moving company, shop around for the best deal. At least three moving firms should be contacted for quotes. Before providing you with a quote, the mover can perform an in-person inspection or a video survey of your belongings. Quotes obtained over the internet can not be trusted. Ensure the mover is aware of any specialty products that need extra care for the most accurate quote. Choose from Buzzmoving.com’s vast network of licensed and insured certified moving firms to employ a dependable and respectable mover.
10. Check to see whether the moving costs are tax-deductible – Save those receipts! You should be able to subtract contributions to charity from your taxes if you made them before the transfer. Furthermore, anyone relocating for work may be entitled to deduct their moving costs when filing their taxes. Read TurboTax’s guide to dealing with moving expenses for more details.